An Evening in Night Market

>> Friday, April 24, 2009

Pasar Malam or literally 'Night Market' in Keningau, also known as street Market and opens at around 4 every evening, is the place I regularly go to after working hours. The mission is to buy veggies, fruits, kuih muih for my kid's evening treat and also for tomorrow's lunch. Stalls of veggies, fruits, kuih-muih in Malay (bake sales), dried fish, clothes, food and drinks etc can be found here. As I was wondering what veggies to buy, I came across the breadnut which is known as "buah Kemangsi", actually the fruit can be found here but I forgot the look and this fruit is cook best with curry as Helen of Rustic Bajan Garden mentioned before. I remembered my other alternative of taking pictures, that is my cellphone, but pretending like sms-ing, got the breadnut captured and some pictures of Keningau's night market. Here's the result. :)

breadnuts or the "buah kemangsi"
breadnuts in the sack
and these are the "tarap fruit", notice the difference between the two ?


view of the pasar malam
'Lemiding' a local veggie, grows in the wild.

banana flower or 'jantung pisang' cooked as veggie on the left

serai or lemon grass, bottles of honey, 'bambangan' a type of local pickles (yellow color in the small container on the right)
local jewellery crafts also can be found here, the picture a bit blurry in my attempt to'sms'
ending with kuih muih, bake or rather fried, steam delicacies sales?

13 Inspiring Leaves:

islandgal246 April 24, 2009 3:16 AM  

I am enjoying your post and wish I were there. I can see the difference now between the bread nut and the tarap fruit. Thank you for the link to my blog. I love markets they say soo much about the people of the area. I get a pull or tug of the earth feeling whenever I visit an open air market. I wish we had markets like yours here. It is kinda boring here to go to the market. I love to go to market in the other islands. The french Caribbean markets are very interesting.

Bangchik and Kakdah April 24, 2009 3:34 AM  

FJL.... I love lemiding.... so soft and crunchy... the normal pucuk paku is a little bit starchy... durian already there?...

FJL April 24, 2009 10:09 AM  

Helen : Pasar malam, Night market, and Tamu (where the local sellers meet)as well are the places I usually go to find some local kampung veggies that are sold without too much fertilizer, but you have to see the veggies condition as well as there's not much difference between too much fertilizer or without. If you have the chance visiting Asia, you try visiting the markets , especially the open air one. And not forgetting Thanks for your compliment :)

Bangchik and Kakdah : Yes lemiding is soft and crunchy but its too vulnerable as you have to cook it once you have bought it as it wouldnt last long even if you put it in the fridge (the leaves tend to change color to black)
Durian not much, and the price still way up high. I think we'll get much cheaper durian price but high quality ones there in your place when the season is on :)

Admin X2 April 25, 2009 12:03 AM  

Good Post, nice pics of veg....thanx

FJL April 25, 2009 6:03 AM  

Alam : Thanks, your sms blog is interesting. It looks fun.:)

Anonymous May 18, 2009 2:30 AM  

the market looks amazing, i wish i had access to such a variety of foods :D

love the site, keep going

FJL May 18, 2009 7:23 AM  

Nibarryc : Yes you can find lots of interesting stuffs in open air market. Thanks for hopping in and hopefully I can update the site soon when the mood is in :)

Jan May 19, 2009 12:42 AM  

I don't think I would have been able to tell the difference between the bread nut and the tarap fruit if you hadn't pointed it out!!

I see you haven't posted lately--but that's ok, I take long breaks too. It is time consuming when you'd rather enjoy the outdoors! But, when you come back, we'll be here!!

FJL May 19, 2009 7:20 PM  

Hi Jan,
Actually I almost forgot the breadnut if Helen of Rustic Bajan Garden didn't mention it. Thanks to her.
I was not well those few weeks, but am getting well with your support. Thanks :)

Bangchik and Kakdah May 28, 2009 7:35 AM  

Now I am thinking where is Keningau Blogger all this while... cheers! ~ bangchik

FJL May 28, 2009 8:15 AM  

Hello there Bangchik and Kakdah. Was here all the while but did not go blog hopping maybe you noticed that. But when I do go, there sure will be plenty of green readings I will be having. But thanks for the support and I will make sure the blog is moving sooner after the school break. :)

raxx a day in the life June 27, 2009 1:02 AM  

Love the outdoor market!

FJL June 27, 2009 8:04 AM  

Raxx - Sure you will, there are lots of things you can find in an outdoor market and thanks for stopping by.

Followers

Where the inspiration comes

Where the inspiration comes

  © Blogger template Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP