Buah Tarap the Unique fruit in Sabah

>> Sunday, April 19, 2009


Buah tarap is a unique fruit here in Sabah. Its flesh is soft and sweet and has a strong scent. Buah tarap can be eaten just like that or cooked with flour to make kuih. It looks like jackfruit but its not. This fruit is very soft to open when ripen and thats why you have to get the fruit from the tree and left to ripen until soft as it couldnt afford to fall because of its softness. People here believed that if you are going to pluck this fruit be careful dont let the fruit touch your knee else it would not ripe accordingly. The seeds are also edible after boiling or roasting and taste like nuts. The young fruit can be used as veggie and cook with coconut milk like the jackfruit.
credits to www.travelpod.com

I dont have this in my yard as hubby said it is too big a tree to grow and it really needs bigger space. Anyway just to highlight my favorite fruit and the local fruit of Sabah here it is as feast to the eyes :)

10 Inspiring Leaves:

Bangchik and Kakdah April 19, 2009 3:06 PM  

Hi FJL from Keningau.... Nice juicy fruit... looks like cempedak/nangka but taste not the same... I have eaten tarap before... But the peculiar thing is from far it really looks like buah sukun!!.... How's manga wani?.. fruiting yet there.

FJL April 19, 2009 6:50 PM  

Yes the tarap fruit from far looks like buah sukun, but not when you look it closer. Mangga wani still flowering am waiting for it to fruit.:)

islandgal246 April 20, 2009 12:39 AM  

Looks like bread nut a family to the breadfruit. We steam these or cook them in curry. They taste is something like chestnuts. I never knew you can eat them raw if that is the same thing we are talking about

FJL April 20, 2009 11:52 PM  

HI Helen, I've seen the bread nut picture and I think they are cousins.:) Look alike but not the same as the breadnut's spike looks sharp in the picture but the tarap isn't. Anyway thanks for the breadnut info, now I knew there's a tarap cousin somewhere in Barbados :)

J.C. April 21, 2009 12:26 AM  

Btw, I wanna say thanks for identifying the Alamanda flower on my posting. I have heard of Alamanda Mall in Putrajaya. But didn't know that it is a name of a flower. Love the bright, sunny bloom of Alamanda! Thx!!!

Prospero April 21, 2009 1:33 AM  

Looks like an interesting fruit, thought it sounds like it's a really big tree - too big for me to try in my garden.

islandgal246 April 21, 2009 3:23 AM  

FJL isn't the world of blogging great? I agree that is now not the bread nut but a family member. We get to learn about similar plants and fruits and also new species. I will definitely have to get a seed to plant. I'm so glad I met you.

FJL April 21, 2009 11:07 PM  

J.C : Yes so nice they put Alamanda as the mall's name, bright and sunny as the flower itself. :)

Prospero : The tarap tree is big and tall like the breadfruit tree and has big leaves. It can grow big enough to support the fruits.:)

islandgal246 : Iam so glad to meet you too Helen, glad to have new infos about plants from new places everywhere, thats another alternate of learning in life. :)

Ice April 24, 2009 11:32 AM  

This is one of my favourite fruits back in Msia. I forget what it is called in my dialect. Very nice to see all these local veggie too in your recent post. Love the paku-pakis.

Sanika November 20, 2009 9:27 AM  

we also have this fruit in the philippines...especially in the southern part of the country. it's called 'Marang'

Followers

Where the inspiration comes

Where the inspiration comes

  © Blogger template Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP