Sweet Potato, betel nut

>> Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The flowers look like morning glory except that it has a faded colour of purple. This is the sweet potato's flower grows near the creek behind my house. My husband planted them and there are some more growing near my house. The sweet potato's scientific name is Ipomea Batatas. It is a crop plant and its young leaves and shoots can be eaten as greens. What I like about this plant, is, its tuberous roots are sweet tasting. You can make kuih or cakes from it and it is said can be eaten to cool down the body warm temperature, quoted from my mother in law's daily knowledge....


nice color of flowers


a borrowed ubi manis picture
the tuberous roots which is sweet tasting or in Bahasa Malaysia -Ubi Manis, any other names?

NEXT- Here comes Betel nut or also known as Areca nut and in Bahasa Malaysia -buah pinang- is my favorite chewable nut but not really a nut whereas when eaten can cause a hot sensation like a bit dizzy, but the effects are vary from the person eating it. My mother's advice when buying or choosing this nut to eat is that when you divide the nut into half and you see the rather white colors of the nut its indicating a sign of not causing a dizzy feeling..but when you see the nut's color is more to red be caution you will find yourself sweating with those dizzy feeling ,from my experience. Eating and chewing betel nut can be addictive but I use to eat the nuts more when Im in my parent's home, even though I have it in my place and planted it I seldom eat it.

These two betel nut trees are good betel nuts, not causing those dizzy feeling.. for me.

the betel nut a closer look



these two betel nuts are quite an old nut, the ripen one is orange in color.
a borrowed ripen betel nut


the inside

ready to 'ngap' or ready to eat/chew..





4 Inspiring Leaves:

Vj September 20, 2008 1:12 PM  

mama bilang minta itu pinang LOL

FJL September 20, 2008 3:55 PM  

buli SKIT saja tau haha

Sandie lee September 24, 2008 4:19 AM  

I always learn something new here. Thanks for all the interesting facts on plants and fruit I've never even heard of. But then again, I am in Canada.

FJL September 24, 2008 9:02 AM  

Sure there are lots of new plants and fruits in Canada too..perhaps you can borrow your mum's plants to share with me here :)

Followers

Where the inspiration comes

Where the inspiration comes

  © Blogger template Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP