When Mom visit..

>> Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Few months ago mum was here to help take care for the kids when I was not well at that time. She was having a good time helping me and enjoyed the greens in my yard. She even helped me pruning my neglected bougainvilleas and planting some veggies. We share the same interests in gardening as well as cooking. When she was about to return back to kampung, I insisted that she should bring some fruits back.
As avocado is her favorite we took some matured avocados and betel nut or buah pinang for her. She gladly offered to get the betel nut by herself but I warned her to wear gardening boots just in case of stepping unwanted legless reptiles..you know what I mean.
avocados
getting the betel nut by just poking the fruits with long bamboo stick
the betel nut ..again I share mum's hobby of eating this fruit, a little puckery but quite okay to my taste.
Happy Weekend to you all..

10 Inspiring Leaves:

Autumn Belle August 02, 2009 9:37 AM  

The avocado will be great for making california roll sushi. I didn't know we can plant it here. After eating this betel nut, will you saliva become red in colour?

FJL August 02, 2009 9:52 AM  

I saw the California Roll Sushi picture and it looks yummy, perhaps will try this one if I have the time. Eating only the betel nut will not makes your saliva red but only a bit dizzy on the head hehe. The red saliva is caused by eating it with gambir and daun sirih. I didnt master that yet and not intending too. lol

Stephanie August 03, 2009 3:49 PM  

FJL, the avocado look so good! I love fresh avocado in sandwich :-) So nice to have them right at your garden. As for the betel hmmm... I do not know this fruit before. Now I know! Have a wonderful day and enjoy the fruits in your garden.

FJL August 03, 2009 9:09 PM  

Stephanie,
Yes its so fresh to eat it right after its ripen, sometimes the harvest is too much then we are thinking of giving or selling. Betel nut is just my occasional 'chewing gum', when mum is around then only I will have the interest to eat it.

Bangchik and Kakdah August 04, 2009 1:00 AM  

Nice Mom.... About these pinang, I heard certain variety will give you a little bit of pening-pening... right FJL. Huh, I love the photo of balancing act with bamboo... and I notice the big Keladi much taller than herself.
Lucky you FJL having such a great Mom.
~bangchik

FJL August 04, 2009 4:13 AM  

Bangchik and Kakdah,
Mum is good at choosing buah pinang, she knows what pinang is good to eat by looking at the texture. Sure sometimes I experienced sort of dizziness when eating one, but ours is a good pinang. Normally she just buys the pinang from the market but in my place she could eat as many as she like. Yes the keladi is that big, and it could wrap little kids with its leaves..hehe

v August 13, 2009 9:29 PM  

Do you really eat the betel nut? I thought people only chew on them ... and then spit them out!

Blossom

Jan August 14, 2009 11:37 PM  

The only thing I can think of that I've ever done that was even 'remotely' similar is taking an apple picker and getting apples down from an apple tree! But they aren't nearly as high up as your tree! I do love avocados but have no experience with the 'nut'...it sounds fascinating!

FJL August 15, 2009 11:23 AM  

Lili11,
Yes we eat it. Sometimes I do spit it but one that cause dizziness, but most of the time we eat it esp our betel nut. *grins*

FJL August 15, 2009 11:40 AM  

Jan,
Getting that betel nut also has its taboo. It is believed that when you try to get the nut you should just poke it in one direction. If you go 360 degree on poking it, then it will resulted a not good nut meaning that the nut will makes you more dizzy when eating it. Sure the tree can be climbed but with no one volunteered to get it then the easiest way to get it by just using the bamboo stick. I think apple tree has more branches to cling on to when getting the fruit, but this nut..you have to gain the monkey climbing skill to get it. We prefer the remote way tho ..*grins*

Followers

Where the inspiration comes

Where the inspiration comes

  © Blogger template Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP