Cultivating Gardening from Childhood

>> Thursday, July 23, 2009

Been so busy lately, blogging now at nightime as the daytime are always packed with something or the net is booked by my kiddos.
Making my Science lesson as interesting as I can (depends on the mood, frankly) I came across 'plants' as the topic. Interesting as it is, I asked my Year 1 students to bring along a pot of soil and gave them my leftover seeds that were still intact to plant in their pot (actually a plastic bottle that was cut into half).
After two weeks these were the results.. I hope they can grow their tomatoes, brinjals and chillies and gets delighted with their labor. Those who managed to grow their plants fine were given Science story book to motivate them more to learn as well as they will not get bored with my daily teachings. Perhaps someday if they become a successful educated farmer, they will not forget me as the motivator gardener...(hoping :P...lol)

eager students


the labour

3 Inspiring Leaves:

Bangchik and Kakdah July 23, 2009 5:11 PM  

FJL.., years ago I had to go through similar introduction on germination. We had to keep bringing to/fro home/school a bottle each with a few peanuts inside.... Most seedlings died along the journey . We used art paper [kertas lukisan] as water absorbing media in the bottle then. .... haha...

Autumn Belle July 26, 2009 3:05 PM  

FJL, I am so happy to know that you are teaching this to kids at school. We use to go for field trips, learnt vegetable growing under the buku hijau scheme, and in Science class, germinate seeds and grow a wormery. We even catch cockroaches and snails to bring to school. Then we were asked to draw and label them or do experiments on them and record the findings. Isn't this a great way to learn? The methods I learnt at school are still used by me till today. Such fond memories. Nowadays, my son and daughter never had this chance because they were not taught this way anymore.

FJL July 26, 2009 3:36 PM  

Bangchik and Kakdah,
I think kids should be let to feel the failing and success in life to experience the process of living. Somehow if they be careful they will grow their plants more carefully next time and if not, they will, like you do now. Some of my students didn't get any seeds growing probably because they did not plant it well or the seed did not cooperating with them much or in other words, the seeds were not good enough, but then when they asked for seeds again from me, I knew they were interested to have their plants growing well.
Cheers for your lecturer, or tutor for given you the chance to germinate seeds.

Autumn Belle ,
Lessons can be bored with the same method everyday as I do feel sometimes with mine..grins.
The interests that the students showed were enough to make me happy. Sometimes teachers just leave out the outings as they can't stand kids running around and couldn't be controlled, esp the cheeky ones. Only we just have to find ways to make the outings more in control and safe.

Followers

Where the inspiration comes

Where the inspiration comes

  © Blogger template Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP