Precious Kaffir Lime Leaves

>> Friday, April 10, 2009

Limau purut lebat di pangkal,
sayang selasih condong uratnya
Angin ribut dapat ditangkal
hati kasih apa ubatnya..

Above is the Malay poem connected with the leaves -daun limau purut or Kaffir lime leaves merely a love poem of the fondness of heart searching for medication, so much appreciated that it fits into a poem. These leaves widely used in traditional Malay cooking and Thailand. I just pick two to three leaves and mix them in my soup or curry fish. The aroma is a therapy to the nostrils. Mix your bath with water boiled with these leaves when the weather is cold, you'll have a spa feeling after that.


Kaffir lime leaves -- also called makrut -- have a distinctive two-lobed shape, a glossy appearance, a leathery texture, and an unusual lemon-lime flavor. Leaves can be used fresh or dried. Fresh leaves will keep in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for a few weeks, and in the freezer for up to a year, and either way are much preferred to the dried leaves.

The kaffir lime tree reaching the sky, I guess it needs pruning as I didnt see any of its fruit anywhere on the tree. Well I guess we only need the leaves for its lushes perfume and striking flavour.
Tom Yam Prawns -1st pic below
Tom Yam Soup (Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup) with the leaves......2nd pic.

12 Inspiring Leaves:

J.C. April 10, 2009 5:18 PM  

I love to use Kaffir Lime leaf in my cooking. However, I have not been able to plant them well. Bought the plant twice, and both wilted due to scorching heat!

Wanna share with you that I have also started my own blog on gardening after reading your blog and a few others! My blog is named 'My Sunny Happy Garden'. Hope you would pop by to visit: http://mysunnyhappygarden.blogspot.com/. Wish you a lovely weekend ahead, FJL.

islandgal246 April 10, 2009 6:02 PM  

Would love to get a plant, have been on the look out. Never seen the tree here on the island. All we have are West Indian or key limes and the grafted seedless limes. Those dishes look delicious and I am requesting the recipes pronto lol! I love Thai or anything like Thai cooking. Please send me some recipes to try it is boring eating the same things everyday.

v April 10, 2009 9:11 PM  

I love the smell. I always bring one or two leaves with me everytime I travel. It's so comforting to just smell the leaves crushed in my hands.

FJL April 10, 2009 9:28 PM  

I think kaffir lime needs other plants as shade to the heat, mine is planted side by side with the lemon and longan tree. Try again for the third, you can make it :)

FJL April 10, 2009 9:38 PM  

islandgal246,
I wish you luck for the look out. Like you I wish I can have some extraordinary plants in your place.I hopped in your blog and left you the recipes from a site in your chatbox. Hoping to catch the dish in your blog soon :)

FJL April 10, 2009 9:44 PM  

Lili11 : Yes the smell is really comforting right, moreover if you take your warm bath with it. Fresh from the shower :)

islandgal246 April 10, 2009 11:00 PM  

Thank you FJL for the recipe....but whaaaaat exactly is tom yam?

FJL April 11, 2009 4:11 PM  

Tom yam is actually a famous distinct hot and sour soup flavor mixed with fragrant herbs like lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, shallots, lime juice, fish sauce, tamarind, slices of ginger and crushed chili peppers. Prawns, fish or seafood then mix with it.Originating from Thailand and is a famous Thailand cuisine. Best served when hot so that you will feel the hot and spicy blend together :)

Jan April 12, 2009 12:08 AM  

Very interesting information about Kaffir Lime! I enjoyed learning about the leaf and how you use it...and the food you showed! Hope you are doing well:-)

FJL April 12, 2009 9:35 AM  

A little info from this corner and a little from your corner and a little from everyone, makes this world colorful..wish I can visit all the gardeners blog from all over the world..just couldnt spare the time :) Thanks Jan.

Bangchik and Kakdah April 12, 2009 9:11 PM  

FJL... what a nice pantun to start with... haha ... We got one limau purut plant here.... But we had been waiting for next shoot to appear... already four months. Now Kakdah is worried about taking a leaf or two for Tomyam... because we dont want limau purut plant to experience autumn/winter here in Putrajaya!! ~ cheers! ~ bangchik

FJL April 13, 2009 11:18 PM  

Haha actually I didnt have anything in mind to start my post but this pantun..Im glad our old folks made it up :) Four months for limau purut is still young, no wonder Kak Dah think twice to pluck the leaves :) mine almost three years, actually hubby was the one who like to plant herbs in the garden..Im more to flowers but still am enjoying whatever is growing even weeds with nice blooms..Cheers reminds me of "yam Seng" lol

Followers

Where the inspiration comes

Where the inspiration comes

  © Blogger template Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP